Monday, February 18, 2013

Broccoli Salad

It's so much fun making delicious food to share with friends and family. This past Sunday we had a potluck at church. Gotta love potlucks. Where else do you get a great variety of food? (And don't even mention those nasty home cooking buffets where all the food tastes the same, not even a close second!) Whether it's tried and trues or brand new recipes to try out, there is always something for everyone. Even my picky eater ate his fill of fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

I made one of my very favorites. I can't make this recipe for home because no one in my house will eat it but me. Not even the bacon is enticing enough. Too many vegetables I guess.

Some one liked the salad though because my bowl had been washed by the time the eating was done. (Please pardon the pictures. I was so tired on Saturday, that we're all blessed the food got made! I did not take pics. So sorry!)

This is not a difficult recipe and it's oh so good. So, enjoy!



Fry up some bacon til crisp. I always cut my bacon before frying with kitchen shears. It is so much easier this way...in my humble opinion.



Cut the tops off a bunch of rinsed broccoli. Set aside to dry.



Spread slivered almonds onto a cookie sheet and bake in a 250 degree oven for 5-7 minutes until almonds are just turning a light brown. Do not burn them. This is easy to do, so be careful. Set aside.



Cut grapes in half.



Chop onion and grate cheese. (Or buy grated like I did this past week)

Dab excess water off broccoli with paper towel then transfer to a large bowl. Add grapes, onion and cheese.

In a smaller bowl, mix mayo, sugar, vinegar and Parmesan cheese. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate over night.

Just before serving, mix in toasted almonds and grapes.





Recipe:

Broccoli Salad

1 bunch of broccoli, tops only
½ red onion, chopped
1 cup red grapes, halve
2 oz toasted almonds
½ pound bacon, fried crisp
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

dressing:
1 cup real mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbs white vinegar
¼ cup Parmesan cheese


In large bowl mix broccoli, red onion, grapes and cheese.

Mix dressing ingredients and pour over broccoli mixture. Refrigerate over night.

Just before serving, add toasted almonds and crisp bacon pieces.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment